[SunHELP] Beware, Ross Sun cpu warranties

Fred Dikeman sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 1 08:01:36 CST 2001

Before purchasing some Ross (now Bridgepoint) processors for some Sparc
20's, I
checked the dealer out with Bridgepoint.  I actually talked with one of
the
principals who verified that the processors had just been sold to the
dealer by
Bridgepoint.  A month later, one of the processors failed.  When I
contacted
Bridgepoint, they refused to discuss the warranty over the phone.  After
repeated
attempts to discuss the issue, Bridgepoints' only communication was an
abruptly
worded email saying that the item wasn't under warranty.  All other
attempts to
communicate with them have gone unanswered.

Two months earlier, I had  purchased one of Bridgepoints Sun workstation
clones
directly from Bridgepoint.  It took over almost two  months to get it.
It was new
but came in with cosmetic pieces poorly attached and broken off.  The
internal fans
were not connected so we had to solder the connections together to make
them work.

Bridgepoint had told me previously, that they are scraping the bottom of
the barrel
in order to come up with parts to make their products and that they are
not capable
of producing some of their product line any more.  Maybe this is why
they arent
honoring their warranties.

Fred Dikeman
Data Instruments, Inc