[SunHELP] Disksuite & metainit

Michael S. Schiller sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 27 08:31:15 CDT 2001

David:

Thanks, I was doing all that, just wasn't using the -f option! Got it going,
my machine's life has been spared :)

-Mike

David Morley wrote:

> Mike,
>     The databases that DiskSuite is complaining about are the metadatabases
> that DiskSuite needs to keep track of rest of your mirrors.  I believe that
> you need at least 4 metadatabases for the system to be bootable.  You will
> need a slice on one or more of your disk to hold the metadatabases.
>     To initialize them the command would be /usr/opt/SUNWmd/sbin/metadb -a
> -f -c 4 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d1s7.  Change the device to the controller/slice that
> you have set aside to hold them.
>
> Dave
>
> "Michael S. Schiller" wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm trying to setup a software RAID using Disksuite, but I can't seem to
> > get anywhere! I've read parts of the manual (no, not the whole thing)
> > and I've edited the /etc/lvd/md.tab file according to the manual, but
> > when I try and create the state database I keep getting an error message
> > saying that there are no existing databases! I KNOW THAT. How do I get
> > metainit or metadb or whatever to CREATE the needed files?
> >
> > This has got me VERY frustrated, and if I can't figure it out soon,
> > I might have a used Sun for sale with a few bulletholes in it :)
> >
> > -Mike
> >
> > --

> --
> David A. Morley
> dmorley at boothnewspapers.com

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *