[SunHELP] getting Xsun to do what i want

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sun Jun 17 16:26:09 CDT 2001

> I tried this with my two cg 6s and a zx on an Axil 320.  What I ended
> up doing was linking the two cg6s into a seperate X display so that
> the zx was :0 and the two gxs were :1.0 and :1.1.  What this does is
> perserve the 24bit on :0 while giving :1  the spread.

hmm, i _think_ we are talking about different things.  i'm not having a bit
depth issue, i'm talking about my heads being "out of order" as far as X is
concerned.  think of it this way, i want them to be laid out 1 0 2 instead of
0 1 2 which X handles very well.  it's really only a matter of being anal. i
can live with it the way it is now (0 1 2) but i'd like the dtlogin to be on
the middle tube instead of the left one.

>>also, i've got a 13W3<->4BNC cable, but the monitor is only 3BNC.  can i just
>>tie green and sync together and it should work? or would i need some
>>electonics
>>in there as well?
>
> I've had bad luck doing this kind of thing with cg6s.  Most sun cards
> don't support sync on green.  I've gotten this to work with SGI
> equipment (SGIs are sync on green by default I belive).

poop.  hmm, anyone know what sort of electronics doo-dad could be built to
combine sync and green into a single channel?  it might be time to move this
to the classic computer mailing list since those guys are all into repairing
monitors and crap, so they know all that stuff i don't care to learn :)

cheers,

-brian