[SunHELP] Preformance Tuning, Solaris 8

Scott Fraser sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 11:26:45 CDT 2001

Morning Folks,
Here's a breakdown of the box I am looking to tune up:
SPARC 450 E
2X UltraSPARC 450 MHz CPU
Memory:
- channel A = 4X 64MB
- channel B = 4X 256MB
- virtual = 2.9GB
Solairs 8 (nothing special done to it)
apps on the box:
- PeopleSoft HRMS ver. 7.05
- Oracle ver 8.16
- Tuxedo 6.5
- and a number of other little apps
Currently the load on this thing is nuts. During use (daytime), user space
averages about 48%. Load average appears to be about 2.88. I do have ORCA
installed and can pull more accurate data for anyone who is interested.
Here's my take on it...
The box is currently a development server for PeopleSoft/Oracle. I got
handed this project yesterday and only have until later this week to come
up with some ideas. My ideas so far are:
- increase the Channel A ram to 4X 256MB.
- install two additional CPUs
- tweak the OS
What I am looking for:
- ideas onw what may be my best course of action
- links, URLs, whitepapers on tuning a 450 for this type of use.
- any performance tuning geeks out there whose brain I can pick.
Thanks in advance all,
Scott