[SunHELP] 0+1 RAID on a U250s' internal disks?

David Rouse sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 8 12:20:06 CDT 2001

We've got a U250 at work for our main file server. Currently we are
running on a 4 disk RAID 5 with 9GB drives, using the internal slots and
DiskSuite (and yes, writes are slow). This weekend I'm putting in 4 36.4
GB drives and I've been trying to think of the best plan for DiskSuiting
them.

My first thought was to simply create two mirrored metadisks, but I've
started thinking now about striping the disks in pairs and then using
the two stripes in a mirror. Does it make sense at all to stripe and
mirror when I'm dealing with the U250s single internal controller? Am I
thinking correctly about the stripe-mirror process (i.e. is it actually
the other way round)?

Thanks for any help and sugggestions.

--
David Rouse