[SunHELP] Anyone using the Sun hardware raid on E450?

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 31 17:13:23 CDT 2001

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Peter Stokes wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am interested in running the raid card in the E450 which Sun supply. Has
> anyone used one of these and can you actually run '16 drives internally'
> from it? Sun's web site says you can, but it only has 3 channels and I
> thought the backplanes were split into 4 x 4 disks.
>
> So any experiences with it would be useful (good & bad).

I assume you mean the SRC/P, which is an OEM DPT card.  Provided you get
the latest drivers it seems to be solid and fast.  It does seem like there
would be termination issues with cascading the internal backplanes to run
more than 12 disks internally (I still have mine in my U30, haven't moved
it to the E450 yet).  I'd love more info but people with practical
experience with this card seem to be few and far between.

I run 24 disks, 8 per chain.  It would be ideal for me to use 16 internal
bays on an E450 for 2 chains and run the third chain externally.

-James