[SunHELP] Samll Computer Room Fire Suppression

Michael Horton sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 26 22:58:31 CDT 2001

David,

All the computer rooms that I have seen use halon (that is, in companies
that recognize the importance of their computers).  If you have the
resources, an automatic halon system is very nice and has its own
"sprinkler"/dispersal system.  (One great plus is that you don't have to
be in the room with the fire!)

I have not seen a CO2 system and have no experience with them.

One caveat, the EPA (or OSHA or some other federal entity) has declared
halon an unwanted substance and is trying to ban its use.  This is in
the US but may apply to your location.

I have heard of "knowledgable" groups recommending water just like your
insurance agent.

Hope this helps,

Michael