[SunHELP] CDE mailer doesn't display INBOX in /var/mail

Eric Williams sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 26 08:11:31 CDT 2001

Hmmmm,

The /var/mail/usrname file is being updated and grows as more mail is
received. But there is a $HOME/mbox file too. Does this mean that Pine is
moving stuff after being started. I know, I will go look at the Pine
documentation, but if someone knows and would like to answer, does Pine do
this and how would I stop it systemwide (if I can)? Thanks!

on 7/26/01 2:55 AM, dhansen at zebra.net at dhansen at zebra.net wrote:

> Have you verified that Pine didn't move the "Inbox"
> contents to a $HOME/mbox file?
>
> -david
>
>> I have the PC File Viewer installed. After closing Pine and starting up the
>> mailer she can't see any of the files in /var/mail/username. We know they
>> are there, and if we go back to Pine they all show up, but the mailer won't
>> display them. We selected Local as the mailbox and the window title bars
>> shows that it is looking in /var/mail/username.
>>
>> My sense is that there is a setting or configuration file somewhere that is
>> hiding all these read messages for some reason. If I log into the same
>> machine my /var/mail/username inbox area shows up fine.

Eric Williams                       Systems & Facility Manager
eric at astro.wesleyan.edu             Van Vleck Observatory
860-685-3664                        Wesleyan University