[SunHELP] Re: Mathematica crashes

Bob Minvielle sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 25 05:14:11 CDT 2001

I have run mathematica 3.x and 4 on Solaris, I never
really had any problems until I installed helixcode
(now ximian)... did you upgrade any X libs??

You say you can run it remotely, are you just exporting
your X session? It seems likely that some X lib that only
mma depends on is corrupted on that machine perhaps.

Did you try capturing the output of mma (run from the command
line and redirect stderr)?

Just a thought.

>Message: 5
>Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:28:59 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Sai Sarva <mogrkaku at yahoo.com>
>To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [SunHELP] Mathematica crashes
>
>Hello,
>
>This is my first post on this mailing list and i am a
>newbie to Solaris too :). I use Mathematica on a
>machine which runs Solaris 5.7. And Mathematica that
>we have is version 3.0. Very recently (never happened
>earlier), I hv been having a strange problem. When I
>open up Mathematica and try to do a file-->open it
>crashes. It complains of bus error and dumps core.
>However, when I try to remotely login into the
>machine,and run mathematica, it works fine.
>Does anyone have a clue as to why it might be
>happening?
>
>Many Thanks,
>Sai

=====