[SunHELP] [Q] serial number on SUN E280 and T3?

gonufer sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 23 09:57:58 CDT 2001

L wrote:
> We just received our new SUN E280 server and T3 array.  I found the serial
> number on back of the computer is totally different than system boot up
> message.  while system boot up it show:
>
>   S/N= XXXX Ethernet address: XXXXXX  Hostid: XXXXX
>
> This S/N is different than S/N on back of computer.

True, the serial number is not usually available to software.

All three numbers in the OpenBoot banner are derived from one,
the hostid.  The S/N and hostid are the same number, one printed
in decimal, the other in hex.  The Ethernet MAC address is also
derived from the hostid.  The hostid is unique amongst all Sun
computers but is not the same as the system/chassis serial number.

-greg