[SunHELP] about /proc

Dale Ghent sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 16 10:57:13 CDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Li John-a16118 wrote:

| Greetings,
|
| I found that the output of "du -sk /proc" is bigger than the size of
| the partition which /proc located on. My OS is Solaris 2.6. My
| question is: How can I identify and remove the unuseful stuff from
| /proc without rebooting my box ?

No! /proc is not to be touched!

/proc is a virtual filesystem that exists only in memory. It provides a
filesystem-like interface to system processes. Deleting any of the info
under /proc would be to destroy any or all running process, leaving your
server in a unstable state.

'man procfs' for more information.

Also, /proc should never, ever be backed-up. If you back it up, and later
try to restore, you'll get an unpleasant suprise.

/dale