[SunHELP] How to split an existing slice into two.

Will Mc Donald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat Jul 14 13:56:58 CDT 2001

You could link some of the subdirs out of /var to somewhere on /export but
I'd have a look at what's growing and causing /var to fill in the first
place.

Rotating logs like messages.blah and syslog.blah tend to reach a reasonably
stable level in terms of the diskspace they use up. Other logs and files in
/var just keep growing if left unchecked.

Have a look at the sizes /var/cron/log /var/adm/wtmp and wtmpx and utmp and
utmpx (I think those are in adm, could be in /var/log). All of these can be
safely zeroed on a runnning system as long as you don't rely on the
information they contain.

Also check /var/spool/mail for uncollected system mail and the like.

These are just some starters for 10. There's probably a lot of stuff you can
clear up but as always, if you're not sure that what you're about to zap is
surplus to requirements make sure you have a decent backup beforehand. :)

Will.