[SunHELP] steps to make /opt on seperate slice

TAG DBA sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 12 23:39:16 CDT 2001

Hello !!
I need some advise about laying out my root disk on our Sun E450 running Solaris 8.
I actually want to put /opt on a seperate slice. This is what I have in mind:
1. Let the installation program create a root slice
2. Also create one more /optnew slice during install
3. After install copy entire /opt to /optnew.
4. Rename original /opt to /optold
5. Make a empty directory /opt on root
6. Mount new slice /optnew onto /opt

I am not sure about the above steps. Pls let me know if I am asking for trouble by
doing the above - or if I am missing something.

SunAdmin_NewBee,
~aslam
PS: Thanks to all those who have answered my previous queries (in
case I have forgotten to write each one a thank u note)