[SunHELP] block vs raw device?

Lee Khuong sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 11 16:20:30 CDT 2001

--------------F48DF47C1A3E9FE6DA1D2B64

Andrew,

Use the raw device and change your blocksize to 1024k for faster copy.

dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t4d0s2 bs=1024k

Lee

"Meng, Andrew" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> According to my understanding, hard drive can be accessed by either raw
> device or block device. When I use dd to copy from one slice to another one,
> what device should I use, raw or block device?
>
> dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t4d0s2 bs=128  or
>
> dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s2 of=/dev/dsk/c0t4d0s2 bs=128
>
> Which one is better, why?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Andrew

> The Information transmitted herewith is sensitive information intended only
> for use to the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader
> any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other
> use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information is
> please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.
--------------F48DF47C1A3E9FE6DA1D2B64

begin:vcard
n:Khuong;Lee
tel;fax:(703) 648-9110
tel;work:(703) 648-9020 ext 413
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.go-allied.com
org:The Allied Group;SNS
adr:;;1890 Preston White Drive Suite 200;Reston;VA;20191;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:lkhuong at TheAlliedgroup.com
title:Systems Consultant
fn:Khuong, Lee
end:vcard