[SunHELP] Measuring Ethernet Utilization

David Eisner sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 9 10:44:50 CDT 2001

Hi.  I'm trying to measure the ethernet utilization on a particular
network segment.  I have a Solaris 7 box attached to a hub on this
part of the network, and I want to use it to monitor the traffic level.

I'm interested in all traffic on the wire, including IP, IPX, etc.,
regardless of whether it's destined for the box or not.  For now
I'd settle for simple utilization (90%, e.g.), but it would be
nice if I could break it down further, according to protocol, for example.

I have MRTG setup on the machine, and I can use either Sun's mibiisa
agent, or net-snmp's.   I'm hoping somebody has done this before and
can give me a pointer as to which values to query.  Also, is it
necessary to put the interface into promiscuous mode?

Thanks in advance.

-David

David Eisner            | E-mail: cradle at eng.umd.edu |
CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |