[SunHELP] Directory Permissions

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 6 21:54:25 CDT 2001

Hey, I have 2 clustered machines running an app, for some reason the app
forces you to put some logs in /var and other logs in it's /opt dir.

There are a group of people that need these logs but aren't allowed to
view anything else. So being the quickest thing to do I changed
permissions on the base app dir to drwxr-x--x so they could go into the
dir they needed and only to the log dir and not see what other dirs there
were.

This worked fine on one of the machines, but on the 2nd it stopped a
script being run by owner of the directory.

All the script was doing was ftping to a site, changing it's local dir,
downloading and then deleting off the remote machine. But on this 2nd
machine it got to changing it's local directory and then bombed out
telling you "invalid spawn id(6)"

Also, if you ran this script manually it did the same thing, bombed out
and then you couldn't do certain things, like use man pages it said
"getcwd: permission denied", you couldn't change your password etc.

Basically, these 2 machines should be exactly the same, the script on
either machine _are_ exactly the same, so i'm wondering what someone has
done, either myself or someone else.

Any ideas would be great, thanks