[SunHELP] messages

David Rouse sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 6 19:35:00 CDT 2001

On Friday, July 6, 2001, at 06:11 PM, Vivas Inga, Yovana Mery wrote:

> Hi, every minute I receive these messages in the /var/adm/messages file:
>
> Jun 30 04:15:07 atmb1 sendmail[22307]: My unqualified host name (atmb1)
> unknown; sleeping for retry
> Jun 30 04:15:29 atmb1 sendmail[21856]: unable to qualify my own domain
> name
> (atmb1) -- using short name

Every minute, I thought it was supposed to give up after the second
attempt?

Anyway, newish versions of sendmail want a fully qualified domain name
for the machine it is running on. To shut the message up, give the
machine a name like atmb1.mydomain.com as an alias in the /etc/hosts
file (or name resolver of choice, but leave it in the /etc/hosts as
well, just in case there isn't any DNS when it boots).

NOTE -- unless you require a full sendmail setup where folks can SMTP
mail to your machine from other machines you might want to look at not
running it as a daemon, but just flushing the mail queue every 30
minutes or so from cron. There are tutorials out there that explain the
details.

--
David Rouse