[SunHELP] U10 Network link nada

J P sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 5 16:38:08 CDT 2001

Hey guys hope your day is going well.  I have a
question I'd like to bounce off the group to see if
anyone has seen this.  Here's the situation....
I have a number of U10 boxes I need to Jumpstart.  I
have built all the JS stuff and went to very (run it)
and when I do a 'boot net - install' almost as soon as
I hit the return, the box will lose it's network
connection, ok, no prob, as expected.  Then, when it
is coming up (after checking memory) it will try to
load the network device, and i keep getting the link
down or cable problem message.  Ok, so here's what
I've done so far, and here is what I plan on doing in
the morning (wanting to go home now...). At the ok
prompt, I've done a test net, the loopback is fine,
but the transceiver check fails, this tells me the NIC
(actually an integrated on-board NIC) is ok, and the
hub is poop.  So I switched out the cable, same thing.
 printenv tells me the box is doing tpe-link-test
(true).  I really think the hub is in question,
however if I replace the hub with another, I get teh
same problem, all machines......  However, the hub I
am replacing with is exactly the same make (Netgear
ds104).  Are there any known issues with these hubs?
I plan in the morning to use a totally different hub
to make sure I'm not nutz....
Is there a reason a U10 wouldn't like a 10/100 4-port
Netgear?????  I've never worked with small boxes like
these, so I wonder if there are any little "quirks" I
am not aware of?  If nothing else email me words of
advice like "hit it with a bigger hammer" ok? :-)

Peer