[SunHELP] SSA and fiber card being a royal PITA

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 3 08:27:14 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 08:06:10AM +0100, Will Mc Donald wrote:
> Is Hiro the blind ninja? From, errr, is it Neuromancer or one of the later
> ones.

nope.  although wintermute is from Neuromancer, hiro is from another book in
the same genre written by someone other than gibson.

> My home naming convention is monkey species (don't ask :)) and at work we
> use pragmatic, machine role based names.

we were naming things at half.com cool stuff, there is a pair or Linux devel
boxes linux and vader, the two original production oracle boxes are named cloak
and dagger, the devel oracle box is bart.

then we got 40 linux boxes as web servers.  and we gave up.  named them w01
through w40, the image server are p01, p02, and p03, the Thunderstone boxes are
seach01, search02, search03, etc.  pissed me off, i coulda easily come up with
cool named for them all, although it really did make administration easy for
the web servers for them to have those names.

bah, i'll just keep naming all my stuff at home whatever i can think of.

cheers,

-brian