[SunHELP] SSA and fiber card being a royal PITA

Michael S. Schiller sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 2 23:30:34 CDT 2001

Well, I originally started using names from hhgttg, but then midstream started naming my Sun's (99% of
my network) using their codenames. So I have a  zaphod ford & trillian from hhg and galaxy dragon, and
tadpole from codenames (well, tadpole isn't quite a codename, but close) And the one machine I have that
runs win98 (a SunPCI card in a U5) I call janus, after the name of the software that ran the Commodore
Amiga's bridgeboard, (a PC on a zorroII card)

-Mike

Brian Hechinger wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 11:21:07PM -0400, Michael S. Schiller wrote:
> >
> > well, before you do anything else, if I was you, I'd upgrade the firmware in the SSA (man ssaadm)
> > the new firmware is in the Sol8 distro (I don't recall where, but it's there, I know, I'm a big
> > help) There's also new firmware for the fibre card as well. I helped a friend setup his SSA, and we
> > upgraded both the SSA itself, and the fibre card (both using the ssaadm command). Hope this helps.
>
> hmmmmmm, well, from the looks of things now, i can't even get the fibre card to
> see the SSA anymore.  think i'll try the firmware on the fibre card first and
> then see if i can get connected to the SSA.
>
> when it first booted and i saw what version of firmware the SSA had, my
> immediate thought was "holy crap that's old firmware, that gets upgraded before
> anything else" 1.3 vs. 3.12  hmmmmm. :)
>
> i vaugley remember upgrading the firmware on the SSA at the one place i worked.
> it was actually in the DiskSuite docs i think (upgade to the latest, oh and btw
> this is how you do it)
>
> > And on another note, I wonder how many of us out there have machines named zaphod? My pc running
> > Sol8x86 is zaphod.agrijag.com ! :) I also have a trillian, and at times a ford, and my domainname
>
> i have a trillian (SPARCserver 1000) and an arthur (DEC 3000/300LX)
> on the other hand i have a set of DECstation 5000 boxes (125/133/200/240/260)
> that are named after the 5 scooby do characters and my 7 external IP addresses
> are all named after Dragonball Z characters.  i've got a wide variety of
> interestes for names. :)  (oh yeah, my desktop sparc20 is wintermute and my
> laptop is hiro [well before it died it was] the one should be easy to figure
> out, but where did the other one come from? *G*)
>
> > agrijag is also an obscure character from hhgttg :)
>
> oh, come now, he's not _THAT_ obscure.  he does come back in a big way later on
> to give arthur a rather bad time after all. :)
>
> -brian

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *