[SunHELP] SSA and fiber card being a royal PITA

Michael S. Schiller sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 2 22:21:07 CDT 2001

Brian:

well, before you do anything else, if I was you, I'd upgrade the firmware in the SSA (man ssaadm)
the new firmware is in the Sol8 distro (I don't recall where, but it's there, I know, I'm a big
help) There's also new firmware for the fibre card as well. I helped a friend setup his SSA, and we
upgraded both the SSA itself, and the fibre card (both using the ssaadm command). Hope this helps.

And on another note, I wonder how many of us out there have machines named zaphod? My pc running
Sol8x86 is zaphod.agrijag.com ! :) I also have a trillian, and at times a ford, and my domainname
agrijag is also an obscure character from hhgttg :)

-Mike

Brian Hechinger wrote:

> i finally got a fiber card that i bought on eBay.  i really want to make sure
> it works before i leave feedback since this was a rather amount of cash i put
> out for this thing.  but i means i'll finally be able to use my SSA, so it is
> well worth it.  but it doesn't seem to work so well.  and i'm wondering if it
> is the card or the SSA (which UPS dropped during shipping and suffered damage
> to the plastic panels that go on the outside, but didn't seem to do any thing
> to the insides. it boots fine and passes its POST) and i'm not sure how to go
> about checking it. well, let me describe what is happening first, since i can
> not even get the machine to boot with the fiber attached.
>
> Rebooting with command: -r
> Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma at f,400000/esp at f,800000/sd at 3,0  File and args: -r
> SunOS Release 5.8 Version Generic_108528-08 32-bit
> Copyright 1983-2001 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
> configuring IPv4 interfaces: nf0.
> Hostname: zaphod
> Configuring /dev and /devices
> soc0: port 1: Fibre Channel is ONLINE
> NOTICE: pln0: Old SSA firmware has been detected (Ver:1.3) : Expected (Ver:3.12) - Please upgrade
>
> NOTICE: pln0: Old SSA firmware has been detected (Ver:1.3) : Expected (Ver:3.12) - Please upgrade
>
> WARNING: /iommu at f,e0000000/sbus at f,e0001000/SUNW,soc at 3,0/SUNW,pln at b0000800,2018386e (SUNW,pln0):
>         Timeout recovery being invoked...
>
> soc0: port 1 WWN 2018386e: Fibre Channel is OFFLINE
> soc0: port 1 WWN 2018386e: Fibre Channel is ONLINE
> WARNING: /iommu at f,e0000000/sbus at f,e0001000/SUNW,soc at 3,0/SUNW,pln at b0000800,2018386e (SUNW,pln0):
>         Timeout recovery being invoked...
>
> soc0: port 1 WWN 2018386e: Fibre Channel is OFFLINE
> soc0: port 1 WWN 2018386e: Fibre Channel is ONLINE
>
> it them proceeds to stick in this loop until i unplug the fiber and let it time
> out for good.
>
> from a quick glance, does anyone have any idea what this could be?  i'm going
> to install VTS and give it a good runthough, but from the looks of it, it gets
> connected to the SSA but then when it actually tries to access it, it gets all
> stupid.
>
> ok, just as a what the hell, i thought i'd plug it in now that it was all
> running.  well, now it doesn't even want to see the fiber at all.  the ONLINE
> message never comes up.  it did before the reboot.  i wonder what the hell
> happened since then.  i am NOT having fun here.
>
> -brian

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *