[SunHELP] Solaris 2.6 Memory Limitation

Josh McCormick sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 28 16:08:31 CST 2001

Naser Ali wrote:
> But on the other hand the Solaris 2.6 or earlier versions are 32 bit
> as well. Therefore, theoretically/technically they should not be able
> to address more than 4 gig. In your case you have 10 gig on your E10k,
> which means the 6 gig of it is never used or addressed by the OS.
> Solaris would only create page segments of 8k upto 4 gig at startup.

Well, I think the distinction is more that 32 bit Solaris can only give
a process a virtual memory space up to 4gb. However, since you have
multiple processes, and each process can have its own virtual memory
space (and the kernel, too), it allows it to use the 10gb of physical
address space.

Put another way, a segment of memory used by a process has a starting
address. This starting address is not limited by 32 bits and can go into
obscenely high numbers. So, a process could start at the 8gb mark in
memory. No big deal. However, the size of an address space IS 32 bits,
and therefore, can only allocate memory segments up to 4gb. *

So, you can have processes that their starting point in memory is
anywhere in physical memory, it is just their length of how far each
segment can go that is limited.

 * - This isn't *quite* true because of page mapings and what not, but
the general idea is correct. The operating system is capable of letting
processes go anywhere in memory, well beyond 64gb. However, the
limitation is on how big a chunk of memory a single process can take.