[SunHELP] Solaris 2.6 Memory Limitation

Mohammed, Ahsan sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 28 14:12:23 CST 2001

Thank you all of you.
I got it now.

Ahsan Mohammed
Database Administrator
(214) 209 2574
Pager: 877 677 5480

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Josh McCormick [SMTP:josh.mccormick at wcom.com]
	Sent:	Wednesday, February 28, 2001 1:34 PM
	To:	sunhelp at sunhelp.org
	Subject:	Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 2.6 Memory Limitation

	I've got a number of E10k domains running 2.5.1 and 2.6. One in
	particular I'm looking at has 10gb of RAM. Yes, you can have greater
	than 4gb of memory and be able to access it.

	I think the catch, or the distinction here, is that a process, for
	example, Sybase or Oracle, cannot grab a block bigger than 4gb by
	itself. However, the combination of all the processes running on
your
	system can go well beyond 4gb.

	Actually, I've run into this, in that we wanted to increase the
shared
	memory pool that Sybase uses for caching. But the operating system
	limits the amount that an instance of Sybase can grab to 4gb.
However,
	there are a number of other things that run on that system in
addition
	to sybase, and it consumes around 11gb of memory (with swap devices
	holding the excess 1gb).

	Hope this explains things.

	SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org