[SunHELP] Firewall1

Will Mc Donald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 28 06:34:08 CST 2001

From: "Reagen Ward" <ward at zilla.nu>

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 07:23:47PM -0500, Alan Rubin wrote:
> > I have an Ultra2 I'm thinking about loading FW1 on.  Does anyone have
> > experience with this?  How is the performance?  Can FW1 run on a
headless
> > box with the GUI being used remotely?
>
> FW1 runs great on an U2, but you're better off with a single CPU than
> with two.

Can I ask why you think that? We were considering sticking another processor
in our Ultra 2 FW-1 Enforcement station (not the management console).

At the moment it's running with its HME interface, 2 SBUS dual-attach FDDI
interfaces and a Quad-Fast Ethernet, we're thinking of ditching the FDDIs
and replacing them with Quad and Quad-Fast Ethernet over the next month or
two and we were considering adding another processor as well.

Isn't Sun's party line that you should have a processor per network
interface where possible?

Will.