[SunHELP] IPX scsi cdrom [not] playing ball

Steffen Grunewald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 28 02:25:23 CST 2001

On Tue 2001-02-27 (14:17), NikHenville at cs.com wrote:
> But..... the CD-ROM is no longer recognised, neither can I boot
> from the internal HD automatically, I have to  at the ok prompt.
>
> ALL SCSI devices are picked up "correctly" during the boot, and
> <probe-scsi> confirms that they are all recognised OK.
>
> <devalias> shows the CDROM as.....
>     /sbus/esp at 0/800000/sd at 6,0:c
> .....which implies:-
> /sbus = unique sbus  (really /sbus at 1,f8000000)
> /esp = sbus slot 0, offset 800000
> /sd = scsi target 6, logical unit number 0

What worries me is the :c part (boot CDROMs have a strange partitioning,
with initial boot partitions for the various architectures, and I cannot
remember whether :c (3rd partition) really fits the IPX (which is a sun4c
IIRC) - can someone confirm? sunhelp.org should have it in a FAQ :(

> When the CDROM is physically disconnected from the scsi port,
> and the system re-booted, no CD ROM is detected. The request
> to boot cdrom at the ok prompt is met with.....
>     Boot device /sbus/esp at 0/800000/sd at 6,0:c File and args:
>     SCSI device 6,0 is not responding
>     Can't open boot device
> .....and we are returned to the ok prompt.

One would expect that :)

> When the CDROM IS physically connected to the scsi port,
> and the system re-booted, the CD ROM is detected. The request
> to boot cdrom at the ok prompt is met with.....
>     Boot device /sbus/esp at 0/800000/sd at 6,0:c File and args:
> .....and the system freezes.

> The data CD's are valid - readable correctly on other workstations.

You cannot boot from a data CD

> Attempting to read a data disk fails comprehensively. The following
> may provide some clues.....
>
> The following comes up during the boot-up process.
> The [XXX] are my marks against relevant lines.....
> [XXX]     Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-ROM CDU-8012   Rev: 3.1d
> [XXX]     Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> [XXX]   Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0

Old kernel heritage, I think

> [XXX]   scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom 1 SCSI disk total.
> [XXX]   Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56

> The 3rd [XXX] line suggest that sr0 may be the CD-ROM "device" ????

Well, the kernel thinks it should be named sr0, but since all devices
are accessed via major/minor numbers...

> In /dev there are scd? Devices.
> Cat /dev/scd0 says "no medium found".

/dev/scd0 should be the right one (could you check the maj/min pair?)

> There is, in /dev, /dev/cdrom linked to /dev/scd0
> Attempting to mount either fails - no media found.

Block size settings?

> Attempting to read either directly with dd if=/dev/???? of=/dev/null
> where ???? is cdrom, scd0 OR sr0 produces an error as follows.....
>     sr0:CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disk in the drive
>     CDROM:open failed
>     VFS:disk change detected in device sr(11,0)

Perhaps you're  trying to access CD-Rs? The 8012 has some problems
with them, and it really gets old now, dirty laser and so on

Steffen, just shooting into the dark
--
Steffen Grunewald | GFZ | PB 2.2 | Telegrafenberg E3 | D-14473 Potsdam
 email: steffen(at)gfz-potsdam.de | fax/fon: +49-331-288-1266/-1245