[SunHELP] converting from striped to RAID-5 --VxVM

Austad, Jay sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 26 12:39:52 CST 2001

I have a striped volume consisting of 12 18GB drives using Veritas Volume
manager.  I know I can turn this into RAID-5 without adding another disk,
but the partition will be 18GB smaller.

I have a spare 36GB drive in the unit which is doing nothing.  Can I take
the 36GB drive and use it in the RAID-5 volume so I won't lose any space?  I
know it'll waste half the space on the drive if I can do it, but I'm not
really concerned about that.

When I tried to add it before, I just got a cannot allocate block size
error.

Jay Austad
Network Administrator
CBS Marketwatch