[SunHELP] Sun monitor

Tige D. Chastain sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sun Feb 25 02:22:16 CST 2001

If these machines are anything like the Sun SPARC 10/20s, then you can
use a null modem cable and a terminal client (hyperterm on Windows or
minicom on Linux) to see the output of the display.  I run my Sparc 10
headless and without keyboard/mouse in this fashion.  Once you have the
network interface configured in the PROM bios, you can directly access
it via remote login.

The connector for the Sun video is 13W3 format, a proprietary Sun
interface.  There are PC monitor converters for keyboards/mice and
monitors if that is the road you wish to take.  You can find them on
Ebay.  A word of caution - if you get an adapter, make sure it has dip
switches for the video resolution, as Sun can be specific for what
resolution your monitor will run at.  You also want to make sure it is a
Male 13W3/Female DB15.  Don't make the mistake I did and get a Female
13W3/Male DB15.

Cheers,

Tige Chastain
tigechastain at home.com