[SunHELP] [Q] grant user kill the process privilege?

David Eisner sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 23 17:33:50 CST 2001

I'd be curious to know the answer too.  I'm not sure if the Unix
security model is expressive enough to accomplish this easily.

One possibility:  Write a suid root program, call it "safe_kill",
which checks its arguments to make sure it's only killing a process you've
decided it's OK to kill (depending on the name of the process and/or the
owner of the process, say), and then sends that process the signal.

You could make a special "killer" group, and set the perms like this

  -r-sr-x---   1 root     killer       6548 Feb 23 18:12 safe_kill*

Then put the oracle admin into the killer group.

This seems pretty kludgey, though.

-David