[SunHELP] SUN-EMC problem

Dale Ghent sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 23 10:20:57 CST 2001

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Evan Pangilinan wrote:

| hi to all,
|
| my client has problem on their E3500 machine connected EMC via fiber
| optic cable using the jaycore card  with error of "fcaw0: link down" and
| "link down" repeatedly w/c caused the volumes to be unavailable but
| mounted ( can seen using df -k command).

With Sun/EMC installations, it is common to home more than one fiber
channel or scsi link between the host and the EMC array. fcaw0 may be
down, but there may perhaps be another link that keeping the link going
(and that is why the EMV volume is still working).

Check to see if EMC's PowerPath software is installed on this person's
server. It should be installed under /opt/EMCpower. Run
'/opt/EMCpower/bin/powermt display'

If PowerPath is installed, and there are multiple links between the host
and the EMC array, you will se their statuses with that command.

At any rate, if the card is complaining about the link being down, try
reseating the connectors on the cable, inspect the cable for damage, or
replace it.

/dale