[SunHELP] I feel so DUMB!

Dale Ghent sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 21 14:42:29 CST 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Edward Chase wrote:

| FWIW, I've got it.
|
| # find / -name makedev -print
| /usr/lib/font/makedev
| /usr/bin/makedev
|
| # uname -a
| SunOS postoffice 5.8 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

That's not MAKEDEV, and it's not the MAKEDEV that the other person was
referring to. He was referring to /dev/MAKEDEV, which is the program found
on many BSD-based (and other?) systems that populates the /dev directory
with devices.

With Solaris 2.x, you use a combination of
'drvconfig; devlinks; disks; tapes' to populate /dev and /devices (these
commands are what's effectively ran when you 'boot -r'.

In Solaris 7 11/99 and later, the drvconfig, disks, tapes and devlinks
commands were deprecated and replaced by one command, devfsadm. The old
commands are now just links to devfsadm.

/usr/bin/makedev has something to do with fonts. I can't seem to find a
man page on it on my systems. But it definitely has nothing to do with
devices.

/dale