[SunHELP] Redundant Internet connection, How to?

Albertson, Chris sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 20 12:10:47 CST 2001

I know this can be done, but I've never known how.

What I want to do is to connect my internal network to
two DSL lines from two different providers.  I'll
load balance the traffic.  Now when one line fails
(as it does daily) the second line will pick up the
slack.

There is another related case:

We have multiple web/ftp servers that are mirrored
and co-hosted at different facilities.  We'd like to
stay on the air if one goes down.   I know some big
web sites are able to have multiple servers and route
traffic to the "nearest" server.

I can't figure out how routing would work.  Each ISP
or co-host facility uses a different block of IP address.
What do I do?  Use some kind of rotating DNS that can
ping pong between the two ISPs?

There is likely more then one way to do this.  If you
could just provide some pointers to the "big picture"
it would be a big help.

Thanks,

Chris Albertson
calbertson at primeadvantage.com