[SunHELP] NFS problem...

arman sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 14 14:38:24 CST 2001

Hi all,

    I have 4 linux box and 1 sunserver runnning solaris 7.  Then sun server
/ect/vfstab config is shown below.

#device         device          mount           FS      fsck    mount
mount
#to mount       to fsck         point           type    pass    at boot
options
#
#/dev/dsk/c1d0s2 /dev/rdsk/c1d0s2 /usr          ufs     1       yes     -
fd      -       /dev/fd fd      -       no      -
/proc   -       /proc   proc    -       no      -
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1       -       -       swap    -       no      -
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0       /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0      /       ufs     1
 no      -
swap    -       /tmp    tmpfs   -       yes     -
tolkien:/usr/local/tmp  -       /usr/local/tmp  nfs     -       yes
bg,soft
tolkien:/usr/local/share/bin -  /usr/local/share/bin nfs        -       yes
bg,soft,ro
tolkien:/usr/local/share/etc -  /usr/local/share/etc nfs        -       yes
bg,soft,ro
#tolkien:/usr/local/share -     /usr/local/share nfs    -       yes
bg,soft,ro
#
#midnight:/export/home  -       /home/midnight  nfs     -       yes
bg,soft
tolkien:/export/home    -       /home/tolkien   nfs     -       yes
bg,soft
anchorage:/export/home  -       /home/anchorage nfs     -       yes
bg,soft
fairbanks:/export/home  -       /home/fairbanks nfs     -       yes
bg,soft
cordova:/export/home    -       /home/cordova   nfs     -       yes
bg,soft
sitka:/export/home      -       /home/sitka     nfs     -       yes
bg,soft
#kodiak:/export/home    -       /home/kodiak    nfs     -       yes
bg,soft

For example I run a simulation program from sitka, one of the linux box. I
made a ssh (secure shell) connection to the sunserver, and run the following
simulation (verilog)

>dc_shell
>write -f verilog ../gates/GLUE_T.v
>write -f verilog ../gates/GLUE_TOP.v

 The first write yields an empty file; the second is successful.  DC
 gives no error or warning.  The resulting empty file cannot be read from
 sunserver (although it shows up in a listing) - any operation returns
 "Invalid argument". Donno why. Any help would be appreciated. But it can be
read from sitka; it's just an empty file.  If on sitka I copy it to another
name this new file can now be
 read from midnight, and is just an empty file.

 Note also that if on the second write attempt I try to rewrite to
 GLUE_T.v (i.e. same name) I get an error:

 Error: Can't open export file '/home/sitka/anitajn/.../gates/GLUE_T.v'.
 (EXPT-4)
 Error: Write command failed. (UID-25)

Any ideas, to solve this problem...my bet it has to with NFS.

midnight