[SunHELP] Terminals on Core Installation

Nicholas Dronen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sun Feb 11 23:38:21 CST 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 09:56:45AM +0700, Triyono wrote:

> Hi All,
> How can I make more than one terminal when I am not on CDE or OpenWin
> environment.
> I install Solaris 7 with core  configuration but I cannot make a new
> terminal like on Linux (RH Linux) with press ctrl-Alt-F1 or F2or F3...
> Anyone  have any  suggestions?

Use screen, like everyone else.  You'll never have
to open more than one xterm again *and* you'll be
able to have multiple virtual terminals even when
using a serial console (or otherwise not have X
running) on a system that doesn't support multiple
vty's as Linux does.

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/screen

It might be on http://www.sunfreeeware.com/ as well.

Regards,

Nick Dronen

P.S.  Multiple vty support on Linux is part of the kernel's
terminal driver.  It's not distribution-specific.  You get
the same functionality on RedHat as you do Slackware, Debian,
et al.