[SunHELP] i can't win with this sound thing

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat Feb 10 12:20:41 CST 2001

this sparc20 is being a giant pain in the butt with this whole sound thing.

mpg123 and mpeg3_play both work, but i can't get them to use the external
audio, they only play out to the internal speaker, which, while being an
impressive speaker for it's age and size, isn't what i want at all.  i tried
plugging my ext. speakers into lineout and headphone out and tried fiddling
with the command line switches to the two programs.

also, i'm having a rather hard time getting stuff compiled on this thing.
i built and install Xaudio on my sparc5 a while ago (before i got the sparc20)
and it worked, but the machine wasn't fast enough to do Xaudio, X, and a window
manager.  but now i can't get Xaudio to build at all.  Solaris 8 on both
machines, almost identical setups.

i can't get any of the other stuff to build either.  the java stuff is all
junky, if it works at all, and the gtk stuff is just hosed up, and i think i
may need to wipe out gtk and try installing it again, or something, i don't
know.  this is extremely frustrating!

thanks,

-brian