[SunHELP] IP Routing of home network w. dialup Internet access

Michael Doyle sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 9 20:16:01 CST 2001

To all,

Does anyone have any pointers for me as to the tools I should
use to route packets destined to and from the great wild world
of the Internet from my home LAN (172.x.x.x is what I've set
it to)?  I have a 20 (Sol. 8) and an IPC (SunOS 4.1.4), and my
Internet access is PPP (aspppd, interface ipdptp0) dialup from
the 20.  So the 20 would be the gateway/router.
The ISP assigns an IP address to ipdptp0 each time I dial in.

Is using the IPfilter package on the 20 sufficient for doing this?
(I'm sure I'll be wanting to run IPfilter eventually to make the
20 into my firewall, particularly since I have a 4.1.4 box running)
What would I need to set up on the SunOS 4.1.4 box to have packets
to/from the Internet routed through the 20 (and the 172.x.x.x
packets remaining in my LAN)?

Net, man page, and book searches have only shown me how this is
done for nets with static IP addresses, using routed.
URL's are quite welcome...

Many thanks,

Michael
E-Mail: Michael Doyle <gmike at cstone.net>