[SunHELP] using dd

Edward Chase sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 6 13:07:01 CST 2001

I'm working on developing a backup script for a Solaris 2.7 box.

The machine has 2 internal 18GB hard drives.  (c0d10t0 and c0d11t0)

I am using the dd command for the first time in hopes for a little
reduncancy and backup speed.  Here's my thoughts...

Both drives are partitioned the same.  Right now, I've issued the following
command:

    dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t11d0s0

I was thinking that this would create a quick snapshot of one filesystem
from one drive to the other and then I was going to run ufsdump from the
2nd drive.  It's the / filesystem if that matters.

I issued that command over an hour ago and it still appears to be
running.  The partition is 17GB or so, but only has 1.5GB of data in it.

Should this be taking this long?  This machine is a 4 CPU - E4500 w/ 1GB of
RAM.  Only the basic OS is running at the moment.

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://www.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |   http://studentweb.providence.edu
  Providence, RI  02918   |