[SunHELP] Windowmaker how-to

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 6 12:01:11 CST 2001

> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 07:41:50AM +0000, dhansen at zebra.net wrote:
> >  That doesn't matter.
>
> So, I can run binarys specifically compiled for an Ultra on an SS20,
> now, can I? :)

 Only if you live in a fantasy world where older
architecture auto-magically supports newer features that
weren't even thought of in their time.
 _Now_ for a lesson in a little English language word/concept called "context". Because
apparently at
least _you_ need it.

 For the question at hand, looking for a how-to document
re-telling someone the instructions from the application
plus the manpage for dtlogin (assuming that what the
original poster meant was how to install windowmaker or
gnome and also make it a choice in their gui login
console) has absolutely nothing to do with binary
compatibility between sun4m and sun4u hardware
architectures. If it does, then please enlighten me
because the only way that I can think that it could
remotely qualify is if either windowmaker or gnome
were so incredibly horrid as to tie themselves to an
actual architecture dependency (which they don't, I've
run them on sun4m hardware before) or if one were to live
solely in an ex-windows user world where the very thought
of compiling your own trusted software isn't a concept
that could even be imagined and the only available
precompiled packages were compiled with dependencies for
another hardware platform.