[SunHELP] Ultra1 170E vs 200E

James Lockwood sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 6 01:59:22 CST 2001

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001 canderso at TTACS.TTU.EDU wrote:

> I have not seen this issue addressed elsewhere, how well does an Ultra 1
> 170E compare to a 200E?  Aside from the slightly faster CPU were there any
> other changes? Different L2 cache, firmware/rom issues? Has anyone noticed
> a 200E to feel that much faster than a 170E or perhaps hasn't noticed any
> difference at all?  I am considering an "E" series Ultra 1 and Creator 2D

They only differ in CPU and UPA bus speeds.  The U1/200 runs the UPA bus
at 100MHz and the CPU at 200, the U1/170 runs UPA at 83 and CPU at 167.
For CPU-bound tasks the 200 will be roughly 15% faster, this is consistent
with SPEC tests.

> for a desktop workstation, perhaps another one for a server. Both would
> have plenty of RAM and disk. Have also been giving some thought to Ultra
> 2 and Ultra 30 due to the constantly decreasing going rate. Also, does the
> Creator 3D offer any additional 2D performance over the Creator 2D? I
> won't be using any 3D graphics, but would like decent 2D performance.

The Creator3D framebuffer will allow the use of higher resolutions.  Both
should be roughly the same speed.

-James