[SunHELP] SS20 as DNS server

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 6 01:15:52 CST 2001

Hello, I am about to piece together a small office LAN and server farm.
Total of about 20 workstations and less than 8 servers. Internet access
via a DS3. We are trying to cut costs wherever possible, but I am
concenered about some performance issues. Would it be wise to run our
primary DNS and primary mail server on a SS20/SM71? We don't expect to
handle more than 1,000 messages per day, though the DNS server will also
be used as a caching DNS server for the LAN. Would latencies be improved
much by going to an Ultra 1 or do you feel a SS20 would be more than
enough machine? Also, what is the recommended version of Solaris for a
headless SS20? 7? 8? The machine will probably have 128 or more MB ram and
plenty of disk space.

I have some Ultra 1 hardware questions but will address them in another
message.

Thanks in advance!