[SunHelp] sparc 10 advice

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 5 12:16:11 CST 2001

>>Seriously, the ZX is a decent frame buffer, and you
>>will see a slightly
>>more snappy response, along with greater color depth.

and not supported since Solaris 2.6, or at all in NetBSD/X11

>>don't know if I'd spend $175 for what will probably
>>only be marginally

i just spent $82 (which seems to be the going rate) for a 4MB VSIMM to make
the onboard SX go.  just installed it an hour ago, so far, it's great.  it's
fast enough that i don't notice any laggyness and netscape can't steal all my
colors anymore.  that's a win to me. :)  the only thing i noticed though is
that flipping through the virtual workspaces, it does funkyness for a split-
second, but doesn't cause any real trouble.  so far, fantastic.

>Well, I guess I wanted to know that. I
>have an Ultra5/400 I am using... but I
>am using the sparc 10 as my X terminal
>of sorts.

it <$100 is acceptable to you, don't bother with the ZX, overpriced,
undersupported.  get the VSIMM for the SX, and away you go.

cheers,

-brian