[SunHELP] Re: [SunRescue] Setting up another domain

Bill Bradford sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat Feb 3 19:54:06 CST 2001

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 06:30:12PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   I've always used filenames of the form "foo.com.db" in my nameservers.
> This convention has served me well, from a few dozen zones at home to
> tens of thousands at a previous job.
>          -Dave McGuire

Same here; I have my stuff setup like this; main files in /var/named,
with zone files under /var/named/<TLD>/db.<domain>.<TLD>.  Large sites
can use even a further tree structure, and places with more IN-ADDR-ARPA
info will of course have directories for that as well.  This keeps it nice
and clean tho.

BIND 8.2.3-REL here, BTW.

(and of course I dont have my skanky freaky monkey sex domains listed,
 either, this is just an example..)

/var/named/db.cache (root nameserver info)
/var/named/db.local (in-addr-arpa for 127.0.0.x)
/var/named/db.template (template for making new domain db file)
/var/named/named.conf (/etc/named/conf is a symlink to this)
/var/named/com/db.thisoldsun.com
/var/named/net/db.mrbill.net
/var/named/net/db.sunhelp.net
/var/named/net/db.thisoldsun.net