[SunHELP] Memory prices

Gregory Leblanc sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 1 23:15:43 CST 2001

On 31 Jan 2001 13:18:07 -0800, patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG wrote:
> I have an Ultra 10-440 with a SunPCi card; and am considering adding
> memory to both.  Can someone here explain why the RAM for the U10
> is about three times as expensive as even the fastest PC memory?
> It is also obvious that the two are measuring different things
> when they list the 'ns' speeds - what is the difference?

They're measuring the same thing, which I believe is the "refresh time",
or time between when signals are regenerated.

> MemoryX lists a pair of 64Mb DIMMs for the U10 are $290.  Two 128Mb
> DIMMS are $540 or $660 depending on manufacturer.  (That's $270 or
> $440 each.)
>
> They list a 128Mb (PC100) DIMM for the SunPCi at $105.  In their
> general SDRAM DIMM listing, they have Intel Approved 128MB PC-100
> DIMMs without ECC for $60.  With ECC for $103-109.  PC133 DIMMs
> are only slightly more expensive than the PC100 versions; and Advanced
> PCBoost has 128Mb PC150 SDRAMs at $68.

All of those prices are -way- too high.  I'm currently getting 133MHz
PC133 SDRAM DIMMs for $53, without ECC.  Sun ram is always more
expensive than PeeCee RAM, but I don't think those are particularly good
prices for Sun ram either.  Hmm, I don't see any better prices from my
sources here, so perhaps that's as good as Ultra10 ram gets at this
point.  That's probably why I don't have an Ultra on my desktop yet,
despite the ultra-cool ultra-sparc logos.  :)

    Greg