[SunHELP] setting up printing services

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 1 19:41:43 CST 2001

> I don't understand why I would need to get JetAdmin for Unix.  The printer
> configuration has already been set by JetAdmin for Windows.

 The printer's internal configuration isn't the case here.
Those people suggested it because JetAdmin comes with
alot of printer filters and will set up your printer (on
the system side) for you. Much like you tried to do with
AdminTool only you didn't realize that AdminTool assumes
you have a PostScript/PCL capable printer.
 But you are correct, you do not _need_ JetAdmin, or
ghostscript, printtool or any other additional package
just to print plain text. Just use something like
 ... -T unknown -I any .... (man lpadmin). You may
also want to try -T "hplaser -I simple".

> All I need to do is the equivalent of Linux's printtool and "Fix stair
> stepping" option.

 Why wrap a broken configuration when you could
configure it correctly? :)

> I'm thinking that I need to do something with lpset to make changes in
> /etc/printers.conf

 lpset will work as well.

 -david