[SunHELP] about disk usage

Bryan Fullerton sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 31 19:00:24 CST 2001

On Wednesday, December 26, 2001, at 10:50 PM, Gani Salman wrote:

> kediri:/# du -ks /app
> 4677918 /app
>
> kediri:/# df -k /app
> Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/md/dsk/d60      17313526 15857366 1283025    93%    /app
>
> I got this strange result only for this filesystem/slice. The others
> are working fine. Is it normal? If not, how can I fix it?

Most likely one or more files were deleted which are still opened by an
application. They'll still appear as allocated space when using df, but
because they're deleted they're no longer visible in du - their inodes
are no longer listed in the directory entries. Restart/HUP whatever apps
have open files on that filesystem and the space should "magically"
reappear.

Bryan

--
Bryan Fullerton               http://bryanfullerton.com/
Core Competence               uunet.ca!gts!cspace!bryanf