[SunHELP] No /etc/shells file

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 17 12:46:14 CST 2001

Hi Administrators,

When I plan to use a new shell, say /bin/false, looks like I have to add a
line to /etc/shells.  However, there is no such file in Solaris 8.  How
does it recognise the common shells like ksh, csh, that are used ?

After creating a new /etc/shells with this line, some id's failed with
'login incorrect' when ftp to this system.  This is fixed by adding
/bin/ksh to /etc/shells.  Does that mean you have to add all default shells
(listed in the Answer Book, shells format) to this /etc/shells database ?

Thanks in advance, Y.Mui.