[SunHELP] Dead Power Supply- SS10

Brian Dunbar sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 14 17:26:25 CST 2001

I need a bit of advice ... SparcStation 10 and a PC/Terminal Device

I booted a SparcStation 10 sans monitor and keyboard, but with a network
patch cable attached to my network.  Attached to the serial port was a PC
running Linux/Minicom.  The idea being to make a terminal server on the
cheap, and to use the SS10 as a test machine with the break signal mods, so
I don't screw up my production systems.

After fooling around a bit and convincing myself it did work (but before
doing the break signal mods) I issued the break, brought the SS10 to the
'ok' prompt and turned the power off using the switch on the power supply.
SS10 would not restart - the power supply acted like it was not supplying
power.  Muttered 'huh' and went to lunch, convinced that a much abused
system had just crapped out for good.

Repeated the experiment on my second 'test' SS10 and .. sure as God makes
little green apples the same thing happened: SS10 would not power on, power
supply the obvious culprit.  Two failures in a row takes it from 'accident'
to 'I did something wrong'.

I haven't (yet) brought in my voltmeter in to check the power leads, but
there aren't ANY lights flashing on the main board, and no keyboard lights
flash on power up, which the Book sez means the power supply is wacked.  I'm
fresh out of Sparcs that I can kill on whim, and I'd hate to fry production
systems . . .

What DID I do wrong?  Is the PC/term server doing something via the serial
port to fry the SS10?

Brian Dunbar
Systems Administrator
Plexus PCB Design Group