[SunHELP] sybase and solaris

Nicholas Dronen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 13 20:26:50 CST 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 04:31:42PM -0700, David Bishop wrote:

> I'm trying to get sqsh, a replacement to isql, compiled on solaris 7.
> However, it consistently returns an ld error complaining that it can't find
> the symbol "timelocal".  I am fairly positive that it expects to get that
> symbol from a system library, but I don't know which one.  I'm asking on this
> list rather than the author, because the program is borderline abandonware
> and he warns not to expect responses to email for several days. To summarize
> my question: does anyone know what I should be -l'ing in to get the symbol
> "timelocal".  Thanks :-)

I don't think you can or should bother to find a library
against which to link in order to satisfy this symbol.
I believe timelocal is a BSD and SunOs <= 4.1.3 function.
This page suggests mktime as an alternative.  Grep the
system include files (time.h, perhaps?) for it and if
you find a comment that says timelocal is equivalent
to mktime, then I'd just substitute the calls to timelocal
in the sqsh source code for mktime.

http://ns.uoregon.edu/portability-faq/soltopic4.html

Regards,

Nicholas Dronen

P.S.  I found a SunOS -> Solaris transition guide
on http://docs.sun.com/ which appears to mention
timelocal but I wasn't able to download the entire
page.  It stopped at the library routines that
started with 'f'.  (Sun's datacenters are run
by EDS now; perhaps they shouldn't renew the
contract, since they seem to do such a poor
job of running the network there.)