[SunHELP] panicbuf when booting from cdrom

Leslie V Brigance sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 7 09:59:57 CST 2001

To:  Les Brigance/Kansas City/Contr/IBM at IBMUS
cc:   sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Subject:  Re: [SunHELP] panicbuf when booting from cdrom

On 12/06/01 10:51 AM, Leslie V Brigance wrote:

> Trying to boot an SS20 from cdrom - from ok prompt enter:
>      boot cdrom
> goes thru post & memory check and then aborts with error
>      (Can't deduct panicbuf from physical memory list) program
terminated.
> and takes me back to the ok prompt.

Make sure memory is installed in slot 0 (one of the two end slots, I
don't remember which).  If there's no memory at physical address 0 then
the kernel gets a bit upset because the panicbuf is hard-wired to reside
there (fixed on sun4u machines).

-greg

Greg,
Thanx muchly!
You hit the nail on the head.
There was a SIMM in zero, but not seated even enough to stop the boot.
Just shows to go you that you should always follow the check list!
Remove the memory, clean it and the slots, reinsert one at a time, etc.
This is just what I get for being in a hurry.
Thanx again.

Les