[SunHELP] Ultra5/10 hardware question

Shahid Shahzad-W5106C sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 4 18:12:19 CST 2001

I used Solaris 8 4/01 version....

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg [mailto:gonufer at yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 4:10 PM
To: Mike Nicewonger
Cc: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Subject: Re: [SunHELP] Ultra5/10 hardware question

On 12/03/01 07:41 PM, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

>>Drives sold with accurate C/H/S geometries have no OS limitations.  The
>>20GB EIDE drives sold by Sun have "true" C/H/S geometries and work with
>>the older Solaris releases even though the drive is larger than 8GB.
>>It's not common to find EIDE disks that report a C/H/S geometry over 8GB
>>"over the counter".
>>
> I have used Maxtor 30 GB drives bought over the counter from Best Buys with no
> problems in Ultra 5's.

You misinterpreted that last paragraph--- it addresses drives that will
work *regardless* of the OS that is running.  If it has correct C/H/S
info (ie, is *not* "over the counter") then a 30GB drive will work even
on Solaris 2.5.1 which would  normally have a 8GB limit since it relies
on the C/H/S info instead of the LBA info.  If you're using the
appropriate revision of Solaris then the C/H/S info doesn't matter at all.

Which version of Solaris did you use with your 30GB drives?

-greg

SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org