[SunHELP] Ultra5/10 hardware question

Greg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 3 21:35:11 CST 2001

On 12/03/01 04:53 PM, Shahid Shahzad-W5106C wrote:

> Thanks, but I just updated the PROM to the latest but the solaris

> installation still shows the same size 8062MB instead of 30Gb of the

> disk. Please let me know if someone has any suggestions.

You need to be running Solaris 8 10/00 or later to use EIDE drives
larger than 32GB on SPARC platforms.  There have never been any firmware
fixes for EIDE drive size on any of the mainline Sun platforms, all of
the restrictions have been in the OS drivers.  The OpenBoot drivers
never had any limitations nor are they used after SunOS takes over the
trap table and thus the responsibility for I/O.

If you've already labeled the disk with the wrong geometry then you'll
need to destroy the label by zeroing it with the dd command before the
kernel driver will let you re-label the disk.

Solaris 2.5.1, Solaris 2.6: drives not larger than 8GB
Solaris 7, Solaris 8: drives not larger than 32GB
Solaris 8 10/00 and later: drives larger than 32GB

Drives sold with accurate C/H/S geometries have no OS limitations.  The
20GB EIDE drives sold by Sun have "true" C/H/S geometries and work with
the older Solaris releases even though the drive is larger than 8GB.
It's not common to find EIDE disks that report a C/H/S geometry over 8GB
"over the counter".

-greg